Serial 1

Author Topic: Serial 1 Ebike Comparables?  (Read 3118 times)

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Serial 1 Ebike Comparables?
« on: June 08, 2021, 03:25:37 AM »
I'm curious what other brands/models people considered before purchasing a Serial 1 ebike. There is a new company called Vvolt that is taking a similar tact with their ebikes: https://ebikeescape.com/vvolt-e-mobility-ebikes-launches-with-four-belt-drive-models/

Motuterry

• View Profile
Re: Serial 1 Ebike Comparables?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 01:23:42 PM »
I had a Rad before deciding to step up to a premium bike. I completed considerable research before selecting Serial1. I’m guessing will see a host of new entries in the market following serial1’s approach. Thus far, I haven’t seen anything that would have influenced my decision in a different direction. I’ve had my Rush/City for two weeks and have ridden daily for transportation, exercise and pleasure. Love this bike!

Joeguy

• Die with memories, not dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 06:17:40 AM »
I looked at and studied many ebikes, read a ton of reviews.   I was mainly looking for gates drive belt, mid-drive motor and the Enviolo CVT hub.    My only experience with an ebike was about 10 years ago when a guy passed me on a climb after I had passed him on some flats.   I saw him in a park resting so went over and asked about it.   It was a Schwinn bike with rear hub motor, with a twist shifter.  He let me take it for a short spin around the park.   I thought at the time that it was pretty cool.   I don’t remember what model bike or what motor it was.  The battery sat in a rack above the rear tire.   It’s possible it may have been a conversion.   
AnOldKoot

Hasaf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 04:02:42 PM »
I currently have a homebuilt e-bike that I use for commuting most days.

I know I want a belt drive. I had one on a bike, that I had converted to a front hub e-bike. That bike is on a long term loan to my sister.
I also know I want an IGH. I had a NuVinci on the bike I have my sister. I have also updated the bike I currently use with a NuVinci.

All done, the bike I am using is close to a class 2 e-bike. I do have a throttle, however, I only use it with strong headwinds, which are common in SW Kansas. The throttle seems to add about 2mph to the torque sensor. Without wind, the bike goes about 20-22 mph being pedalled. Aginst the wind, and using the throttle, I am at about 13-17mph.

I am looking at the Serial 1 Speed. I like:
  • The clean look
  • The belt drive
  • middrive
  • intragrated lights (of course, that goes back to the clean look)
  • The HD branding, I suspect that it will be supported long after some of the pop-op e-bike brands are long gone.
  • Factory racks (of course, that goes back to the clean look)
  • factory fenders
  • Hydraulic brakes. I added them to the bike I gave my sister. I am now entirely sold on them.
  • Different frame sizes, The "one size fits all" approach of most bikes does not fit me at 5'6"

Concerns:
  • in e-bike terms, it is a rather small battery
  • No throttle (getting home on the days that I am hurting, or when I want max power to fight the wind 35+mph is not uncommon.
  • I see reports that people are not able to get the Speed. . . well, up to speed.
  • when I had 27.5 Tyres on my commuter I was unable to find studded, road-oriented, tyres. At this point there are some, but I am still concerned about availability.

I would also like to see:
  • matching pannier, it isn't a must-have, but I would like it for commuting and grocery store stops

My current bike:

The baskets are folding Wald baskets. They are heavy but durable. As you can see, I have also changed the wheel size to 26"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 04:11:09 PM by Hasaf »

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 07:46:29 PM »
Thanks for sharing your DIY build Hsaf. Very cool!

Joeguy

• Die with memories, not dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 04:49:50 PM »
when I had 27.5 Tyres on my commuter I was unable to find studded, road-oriented, tyres. At this point there are some, but I am still concerned about availability.

I don’t know how far you are commuting or how snowy/icy your conditions would get but I have used Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro tires on my bikes for winter commutes for years.   They have plenty of nobs/studs and are sure footed wether on pure ice or hard packed snow.   They are not a commuter tire but I have commuted on them for many years in Anchorage and to be honest I wasn’t racing to get to work just wanted to keep the rubber side down. 
They have a couple sizes 27.5 x 2.25 and even 27.5 x 2.6 which is the tire size used on the S1 Mosh’s these tires would fit on any of the S1 bikes.     
I’ve already purchased a set and will be riding as much as possible this winter (weather permitting deep snow like 6” or more is not easily rideable on smaller tires that’s why I ride a pugsley).
Check them out here. 
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/ice_spiker_pro
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 05:06:31 PM by Joeguy »
AnOldKoot

Serial 1 Owners Forum