Serial 1

Author Topic: Raising the handlebars  (Read 4578 times)

DailyLow

• View Profile
Raising the handlebars
« on: March 31, 2021, 04:04:43 PM »
My joints can't take daily riding in the "typical" efficient biking position. I have to sit fairly upright.

On my last two e-bikes, I have replaced the stem AND the handlebars, for a total of 4" of extra height. However, the Serial 1 handlebars have the brake lines routed inside them, and the stem looks non-standard - very large and square. Perhaps I was just looking at a stem cover? I can't find a manual online, and the assembly videos show that the handlebars and stem come pre-attached to the bike.

I went to the local Harley dealer, and they say they don't have a manual yet, printed or online. They also didn't want to take apart the stem for me to look at. I did note that the handlebars are higher than the seat; probably because this is more cruiser/commuter oriented. My last two bikes were mountain bikes where the handlebars seemed to be at the same level at the seat. So maybe I won't need to raise the handlebars...but it's hard to tell, especially since the shop didn't have the bike in my size.

Does anyone have access to a manual, or a bike you can examine the stem with? Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 08:31:21 PM by DailyLow »

Joeguy

• Die with memories, not dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Raising the handlebars
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 11:54:08 PM »
So you saw one at a dealer and they don’t have a manual?   I would think they would have supplied them with one.    I mean how would a mechanic know what could be done or adjusted.   Appears to me they can’t be raised and replacing the handlebars would be a major headache with hydraulic brake lines to deal with let alone the electrics.   I might head down to the shop here in town and see if they have any on hand.   
AnOldKoot

DailyLow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 04:35:02 AM »
The local dealer said "Serial 1 said they sent us a manual, but we can't find one, in print or electronic."

But I contacted Serial 1 service. They confirmed that the handlebars and stem are both custom, due to the cable routing, and are not meant to be replaced. So you have to find one that already fits you.

At least he sent me the geometry figures, so if you sit on one size, you can see how different the next size would be. I also noted that despite the different-looking frame and tires, the Mosh and Rush (and the step-through, for that matter) both have the same sizes aside from standover height. So you can try a different model, if it's in a size you are interested in. My dealer has a small Step-through, a medium and an XL Mosh, and a large Rush - that might be a standard "dealer kit".

I dunno if the formatting of this table will come through, here goes:

Size/Model   Size   Stand Over Height (50mm in front of saddle)   Stack   Reach   Wheelbase   Handle bar Width (mm)
RUSH/CTY   Small   686.5   575   384   1101.8   630
RUSH/CTY   Medium   713.5   630   405   1145.1   630
RUSH/CTY   Large   758.3   660   414   1166.2   670
RUSH/CTY   XL   795.6   690   438   1202.3   670
RUSH/CTY STEP-THRU   Small   448.6   575   384   1101.8   630
RUSH/CTY STEP-THRU   Medium   448.6   630   405   1145.1   630
RUSH/CTY STEP-THRU   Large   448.6   660   414   1166.2   670
MOSH/CTY   Small   693.5   575   384   1101.8   630
MOSH/CTY   Medium   707.7   630   405   1145.1   630
MOSH/CTY   Large   720.5   660   414   1166.2   670
MOSH/CTY   XL   725.6   690   438   1202.3   670
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 04:39:12 AM by DailyLow »

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 02:57:59 AM »
Thanks for sharing. I guess the custom stem and handlebars on the Serial 1 ebikes might be one downside. I have no idea where Serial 1 is going from here but I wonder if these commuter ebikes are just a start, provided everything goes well. Lots of people shopping for ebikes want a relaxed, more upright riding position. Front suspension would be another big selling point.

Joeguy

• Die with memories, not dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 05:50:20 AM »
I got another email about bikes shipping.    They had some links in the email.   I found the electronic version of the owners manual there.   It mentions a qualified service provider may be able to change handlebar height.  I can’t imagine you could get much height as there is only so much steer tube sticking out the top of the head tube. 
Check it out here. 
https://support.serial1.com
AnOldKoot

DailyLow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 11:00:25 PM »
Great, thanks for posting that here. Yeah, I see that on page 25 of the US owner's manual (at https://support.serial1.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360092279312/_US__CTY_Owner_s_Manual_2020.pdf).

The word "may" doesn't give me enough confidence to buy one, but it does give me enough hope that I'm going to keep checking back at the site. In fact I think I'll email Serial 1 support and ask again. I asked before, but they didn't have any info then.

I mostly gave up and bought a Pedego Conveyor. Same general "low-maintenance commuter" vibe with belt drive and sealed gears, same tire width, same MSRP. It's not as nice as the Rush/Cty Speed I had my eye on - it's class 1 instead of Class 3, 468Wh instead of 709Wh, and ~300% gearing range (Alfine 8 hub) instead of ~400%. I would have far preferred the Serial 1 if it fit, but I was easily able to modify the Conveyor's standard handlebars and stem so I can ride in comfort, and it was 1/3 off. It's not amazing, but it does what I need.

I could sell the Conveyor or relegate it to "daily fitness bike" status if I'm ever confident I could get the Serial 1 to fit me properly.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:02:47 PM by DailyLow »

DailyLow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 09:13:16 PM »
Almost a year later, I went back to the Harley dealer. This time they let me take off the stem cover and take a look.

As you can see from the attached photos, the front portion of the big square stem is the actual stem, and the rear portion is the top cap. You can easily remove the hex bolt and top cap. Underneath, you can see a standard 1 1/8" threadless stem, which also has a standard 31.8mm grip for handlebars.

So this is all standard stuff, and you can replace the stem and handlebar at will, right? Well, you could...except for the cables. It appears that the power/control cable(s) and the rear brake cable run just in front of the stem, protected by that big square cover. They go all the way to the front of the stem, and straight in to a hole in the handlebars. Worse, one cable (which I assume is for the front brake) goes straight up through the stem itself.

So to change anything, you'd at least have to bleed, disconnect, and unthread the hydraulic brake lines. And the power/control lines for the headlight and control pad. Then if you raise the handlebars, I suspect (?) the lines will no longer reach...so you'd have to replace them. You can buy a length of brake line, cut it to size, and run them outside the frame like most bikes, but I am less sure about replacing the lines to the headlight and control pad.

Mind you, at least it is possible! I am not at all sure that I want to take on this kind of headache, though.

Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 05:16:42 PM »
I added new cruiser handlebars to my Serial1. It was a bit of work (with the help of my local bike mechanic), but I managed to replace both brake lines and move the controller outside the handlebars.

In essence, I bought 2 new brake lines, disconnected the control (power/speed device), fished the wire outside of the handlebars (you need to disconnect a purple connector first) then reconnected it outside the handlebars. There is plenty of cable to accomodate any handlebar. I then left the local mechanic to cut the wires and run the new lines externally (he tried to fish them but they have to exit under the light and needed more room than was available.  I don't mind the externally routed cables, and my back loves them now that I am sitting more upright. And now I can switch handlebars again if I choose, and do that myself.

I can supply all the parts list I used if anyone is interested.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2022, 02:38:04 PM »
I added new cruiser handlebars to my Serial1. It was a bit of work (with the help of my local bike mechanic), but I managed to replace both brake lines and move the controller outside the handlebars.

In essence, I bought 2 new brake lines, disconnected the control (power/speed device), fished the wire outside of the handlebars (you need to disconnect a purple connector first) then reconnected it outside the handlebars. There is plenty of cable to accomodate any handlebar. I then left the local mechanic to cut the wires and run the new lines externally (he tried to fish them but they have to exit under the light and needed more room than was available.  I don't mind the externally routed cables, and my back loves them now that I am sitting more upright. And now I can switch handlebars again if I choose, and do that myself.

I can supply all the parts list I used if anyone is interested.

Looks great Frank! Thanks for sharing.

Serial 1 Owners Forum